Guidelines To Finding The Best Contractor For Your Home
From Generations Magazine Seventh Issue
Creating a warm and inviting environment that encourages guests to come into your home, often begins on the outside.
Eagle Bay Hardscapes understands the beauty of your landscape, whether it’s a retaining wall or patio, can be perceived as the first impression when family and friends come to visit. That’s why they wouldn’t want you to hire just anyone to install their high-quality pavers. When looking for a contractor, utilize the following interview checklist to help guide you through choosing the most qualified candidate. When adding your personal style and elegance for one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make, your home, remember to ask the following questions:
- How long have you been installing pavers?
- Are you a member of the ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavers Institute) or other trade associations? (Membership in a local trade association shows a level of professionalism and credibility.)
- Do you guarantee your work for at least one year?
- Will you return in one year to inspect the work and/or complete any minor repairs?
- Can you provide pictures from recently completed jobs?
- Will you be in contact with me during the installation process or do you have a project manager that will be contacting me with updates?
- Do you have a current liability insurance certificate? (The contractor should be insured for any damage or injuries that occur on your property).
- Does your worker’s compensation insurance cover the whole job and crew, and do you have documentation?
- Will you do a written itemized proposal, outlining the scope of work and terms of payment? (It should include starting and completion dates, demolition, excavation, paving, and base materials, as well as any applicable taxes.)
- How long will the project take and what hours of the day will you be working? How many people are in your crew and have they completed background checks?
Another good idea to request when looking for a contractor is to ask for three referrals from past clients. Here are a few questions to ask:
- Were you happy with the work?
- Did the contractor clean up each day?
- How did the contractor handle plan changes?
- Was the job completed on time and at the quoted price?
- Would you hire this contractor again?
For more tips and information, visit Construction Supply, your Eagle Bay Hardscapes dealer.