Black Bean Bison Chili
- 3 pounds ground bison
- 4 pounds dried black beans can substitute canned
- 4 red peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large (26 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 small (8 oz) cans Mexican tomato sauce optional
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- If you use dried beans, soak overnight, then rinse well and bake for 1 hour, covered with water in 300°F oven.
- Brown peppers, garlic, and onion in olive oil.
- Add bison when vegetables are beginning to brown.
- Add to beans in large roaster. Add tomatoes and sauce.
- Bake at 300°F-350°F for 1 1/2 hours.
- During final cooking, add spices.
- Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers, and/or cilantro if desired. Freezes well.